Love butter cookies but finds them too heavy? You might need this recipe! After several trials, we found the right ratio for crisp and buttery cookie recipe. With a dash of our CLASSIC클래식 , it gives you a refreshing taste and a hint of astringency that would balance the sweetness and greasiness of your cookies!
Ingredients that you'll need (~20-26 cookies):
50g unsalted butter
50g powdered sugar/icing sugar/confectioner sugar
Pinch of salt (optional)
28g almond flour
30g corn starch
5g matcha powder
1. Gently whisk the unsalted butter until it loosen up.
2. Add powdered sugar and salt, whisk until it turns light yellow and the volume increased.
3. Add 1/2 of the egg mixture and whisk. (This is to ensure the eggs and butter are combined without being not separated.)
4. After it is combined, add in the remaining egg mixture and whisk until completely combined.
5. Sift in the almond flour, corn starch, flour and matcha.
6. Gently mix the dry and wet ingredient until you achieve a smooth dough.
7. Place the dough on a parchment paper/zip lock bag/cling wrap, and flatten with a roll pin until you get a 3mm thickness. (You may adjust to 2mm/5mm depending on your cookie preference, the thicker, the denser, and less crisp).
8. Rest in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
9. Cut and shape the dough accordingly and place them on baking pan. (You are encouraged to work quickly as the butter might melt resulting in soft dough -> difficult to cut the dough if using a character mould. Please work in cool place/air conditioned/night. Avoid working during hot days or under direct sunlight.)
10. Into the preheated oven, bake the shaped dough at 160°C for 15 minutes.
You are encouraged calibrate your oven by placing an oven thermometer in your oven for accurate temperature. For thinner cookies, reduce the temperature or baking time; for thicker cookies, increase the baking time by 1 minute. Please look after your cookies while baking (if this is your first time baking, or not used to your oven) to ensure not over baking or burn your cookies.
1. Can I omit corn starch?
Yes. It will not affect the taste. It would still taste good without corn starch. However, with the presence of corn starch, it gives you the snap and crisp.
2. Can I reduce or increase the amount of matcha powder?
Yes. Lesser matcha powder will gives a more buttery taste, while more matcha powder will leaves a more distinctive astringency and umaminess to your cookies.
3. I'm allergic to nuts. Can I omit almond flour?
Yes. Almond flour only gives a deeper nutty taste and fragrance to your cookies!
4. Can I substitute with other starch?
Yes. You may use potato starch instead.
Baking butter cookies might look easy but somehow tricky. I hope this butter cookie blog helps you in finding your perfect butter cookies!
Try this recipe and let us know your result by tagging us @matchamelier on Instagram.
We would love to see them! Or you may leave us a comment down below!
Watch the video for quick tutorial.